Campus.Health from TimelyMD Bridges Medical and Mental Health Needs for College Students
Recognizing the unprecedented challenges and uncertainty facing colleges and universities as the COVID-19 crisis continues, TimelyMD has introduced Campus.Health — an immediate telehealth solution that enables students to access medical and mental health services anytime, anywhere.
Colleges and universities across the country have shut down campuses and transitioned to online learning. The necessity of social distancing creates a unique challenge for higher education administrators who need to determine how to best care for students who are away from campus, but need support beyond the digital classroom.
“Campus.Health allows universities to provide immediate access to their students on and off campus, while allowing them to maintain social distancing,” said Alan Dennington, chief medical officer at TimelyMD. “This can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 on campuses and in the community. Also important is the mental health support and access the students can have from home, which becomes even more pressing as people begin to feel socially isolated.”
Benefits to Students:
- No cost visits
- 24/7 access to on-demand medical care
- 24/7 access to TalkNow emotional support
- Accessible from any location within the U.S. on any smartphone or web-enabled device
- Unlimited visits with licensed physicians and counselors from all 50 states
A recent survey by Inside Higher Ed and Hanover Research found that nine in 10 college presidents say mental health is their top concern, but less than 20% of those surveyed had invested in more mental or physical health resources since COVID-19 began.
Telehealth solutions such as TimelyMD are now the first line of response to have COVID-19 symptoms assessed by a trusted medical provider. More importantly, these platforms enable individuals who may be suffering from unrelated symptoms to seek care without the potential of exposing themselves to others who may have the coronavirus. As COVID-19 continues to spread, the CDC has advised “leveraging telemedicine technologies and self-assessment tools” to prevent further spread and help flatten the curve. In addition to medical services, TimelyMD’s Campus.Health program includes TalkNow to provide mental health support, as anxiety and stress related to campus closures and online classes grows among students.
Campus.Health takes the guesswork out of researching, vetting and finding continuation of care — providing an affordable solution that meets the needs of varied and diverse student populations and can be implemented in a matter of days.
Benefits to colleges and universities:
- It’s immediate: 8 to 24-week (or more) programs provide an excellent solution to bridge students’ physical and mental health care when urgently needed, and can be operational within 24 hours.
- It’s affordable: The flat rate prices are reasonable and scale depending on the length of the program and size of the institution.
- It frees staff resources: Campus.Health eliminates the crush of referrals that counseling and wellness centers typically need for out-of-state students by having licensed providers in all 50 states for medical and counseling.
- It’s complementary: The program works alongside existing campus resources to supplement what is already in place.
- It’s reassuring: Simply having access to a resource like Campus.Health can put students’, parents’ and administrators’ minds at ease knowing that help is always available at no cost to students.
“Students and their families need assurance that critical services affected by the coronavirus will be provided,” said Brian C. Mitchell, managing principal and president of Academic Innovators and former president of Bucknell University. “All services must be seamless, readily available and meet the needs that are challenged by the virus. TimelyMD is a good example of how colleges can improve existing campus services during the coronavirus crisis. These types of services enable colleges to have a clear value proposition for students returning to their campuses, whenever that may be.”
Focused on improving the health of student populations, TimelyMD offers colleges and universities a comprehensive, custom program centered around telehealth. TimelyMD’s campus-wide solution gives students one point of contact — anytime, anywhere — to get quality care and immediate treatment for medical or mental health concerns from board certified physicians and licensed counselors. TimelyMD’s telehealth programs optimize clinic resources and support clinic staff in delivering quality care to the right students at the right times. Visit timely.md for more information.
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund for Student Telehealth
Higher education institutions have a unique opportunity right now to leverage federal relief available to them via the CARES Act in response to the COVID-19 pandemic — specifically to fund a 24/7 telehealth program providing no-cost medical and mental health visits for your student population. This Q&A summarizes how the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund can be applied to your students’ healthcare needs.